First off, congratulations to you and your new baby, I’m sure things are getting pretty hectic and crazy! Not to mention you’re probably feeling groggy, hormonal, and exhausted.
Don’t worry. We have the solution for all of that.
Being a mom is a full time job. It may feel like you don’t have enough time to breathe, let alone get your body back into shape – especially while breastfeeding.
This guide will teach you how to use protein powders to make healthy and tasty protein shakes, and show you why protein shakes while breastfeeding is highly recommended. Having protein shakes while nursing is one of the best ways to give your body the nutrients it needs, be able to feed two hungry mouths, and get your body back in shape!
Quick Answer: Best Protein Powder for Breastfeeding and Nursing Moms
- Best Tasting Protein Powder for Breastfeeding – Ideal Lean Protein Powder for Women
- Best Vegan Protein Powder for Breastfeeding – OrGain Organic Protein
- Best High Quality Protein Powder for Breastfeeding – Her Natural Whey
But you have to know how to do it right. Which is exactly what this article will teach you.
And as an added bonus, we show you our favorite recipe for the best protein shakes for breastfeeding mothers. Our signature shake is packed with all of the vitamins and nutrients a breastfeeding mother needs, keeping you and your baby healthy. It will also give you a boost of energy, and help you shed those extra pounds to get you lean and fit!
These are our picks for the best female protein powders for breastfeeding moms.
Editor’s Picks – Best Protein Powders for Breastfeeding Mothers
- IdealLean, Protein Powder for Women
- "I absolutely love this protein powder. The flavor is perfect"
- Our Top Pick
- OrGain Organic Protein
- "It's satisfying and very helpful on my quest to lose weight"
- Best Value
- Her Natural Whey
- "Natural flavors, and NO artificial sweeteners. It's my favorite!"
- Healthiest Option
Protein Powders Safe for Breastfeeding?
If you are wondering if protein shakes and protein powders are safe for mothers and their babies, The short answer – yes! Absolutely!
Protein powder is 100% safe for nursing moms. Protein is one of the most important things you can consume as a new mom – it is often referred as the building block for our body. Some of the benefits of protein include…
- Improving ability to concentrate
- Boosting energy levels
- Giving birth to new cells
- Building and repairing tissues
- Stabilizing blood sugar levels
The benefits of protein for breastfeeding mothers is super obvious, and when you combine that protein powders with extra vitamins, nutrients and supplements, you get a super-healthy-shake that will turn you into a super-healthy-mom.
So don’t worry – drinking a protein shake is safe for breastfeeding. But as with all things when breastfeeding, now that you are eating for two, you have to make sure that everything you put into your body is healthy. This goes from what you are eating to what you are drinking, and everything in between! Protein powder and protein shakes are no exception 🙂
Aka – let’s make sure that what we put into the protein shake is healthy (because not all protein powders are created equal!)
While it may be surprising, there’s nothing magical or secret about your diet while breastfeeding. Sure, you obviously want to aim to eat healthy, but don’t feel the need to get super-stressed over it. In fact, many breastfeeding mom’s problems are that they overcomplicate their diet – keep it simple moms! Simple and healthy.
The human body is a near-perfect machine, and believe it or not, while breastfeeding, your body will produce the highest quality milk for your child, mostly regardless of what you decide to eat.
Yup, you heard me right. As long as you are eating a semi-healthy diet, your breastmilk will be of the highest quality! This is due to our amazing biology, as our evolution has ensured our bodies give the best we have to our babies.
So why eat extra healthy while breastfeeding then? One. Huge. Reason.
Yes, as long as you are eating a semi-healthy diet, your breast milk will be of the highest quality, ensuring your little angel is eating like a king or queen!
But this isn’t a free pass to eat Milky Way’s and Wendy’s for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You need to eat healthy to take care of yourself! You need to eat your fruits and veggies! An unhealthy mom is an unhappy mom. An unhealthy diet can still affect the quality and quantity of your breastmilk, but more importantly, it will absolutely one hundred percent negatively impact you, leaving you groggy, hormonal, and exhausted.
Eat Healthy while Breastfeeding for you
Focusing on a healthy diet while breastfeeding is extremely important for three reasons,
- Health of child – As discussed above, as long as you are eating a healthy diet, your child will be fine, so don’t stress too much on this…
- Losing weight – Combining healthy eating with exercise is the best way to shed the baby fat. By eating healthy while breastfeeding you are ensuring your body is getting back to it’s pre-pregnancy form, and quickly! Studies show that women who semi-actively exercise and eat well can lose up to 2 lbs a week whilst breastfeeding!
- Energy – Now that you are a full time mama, you have to give yourself the boost needed to get through the day. Breastfeeding requires you to work and to eat for two, and any cutting of corners will immediately be felt by you in the form of nausea, agitation, or exhaustion. Don’t screw yourself here. The mantra is simple – eat good, feel good.
To achieve these three things, you’ll need to eat a healthy amount of protein, complex carbs, unsaturated fats, and plenty of vitamins and minerals.
Sound intimidating…? Well it isn’t!
All of these things are easily consumed with a normal healthy diet. Think lean meats, fruits, veggies, nuts, and a healthy serving of carbs. You know, the good stuff 😉
This is exactly why the best protein powders while breastfeeding will make your life so much easier. They can help make the process much simpler, enabling you to consume a ton of vitamins and nutrients at once, leaving you and your baby happy and healthy!
But we’ll touch up more on this important issue in a moment, but first…
Pros of Protein Powder While Breastfeeding
Protein supplements are a great way to get a quick fix, but not all supplements are OK for breastfeeding mothers.
First of all, we do not recommend eating protein bars.
While there are healthy options out there, protein bars are typically filled with sugars, fats, and other ingredients that could negatively affect the quality of your breastmilk. Plus these bars can often have a ton of calories and might even contain herbal products. These are things that are better off not being introduced to your body.
In contrast, protein powders tend to have less sugar and are super easy to combine with other healthy foods into power-shakes (just wait for our signature recipe, you’ll love it).
It’s because of this convenience that protein powders while breastfeeding are so great! You get to deliver a health-bomb to your body, and in a convenient way (that can also be super tasty)!
Beware! Don’t JUST rely on Protein Powder
Protein powders are safe while breastfeeding, but remember – they are a supplement! Protein powders are an ADD-ON to a healthy diet, not a replacement for a healthy diet.
This is particularly true when it comes to eating sufficient amounts of protein. Make sure to have chicken, pork, beef, vegetables, nuts, and other foods high in protein in addition to your protein shakes.
While a healthy protein shake can be a great meal replacement, the last thing you want to do is replace ALL your meals with protein.
Aim for one super-healthy protein shake a day.
5 Best Protein Powders for Breastfeeding Mothers in 2017
The Best Protein Shake for Breastfeeding Mothers
Also – Check out our top blenders for protein shakes. We take all the guesswork out and show you the three best blending options.
So remember, healthy breast milk is healthy breast milk. Unfortunately there’s no magic food you can eat that will turn your breastmilk into some ultra-healthy-magic-baby-potion.
So with that in mind, we conjured up this recipe focusing on breastfeeding mothers needs, and what nutrients would be serve them. This will give you the nutrients you need to feel energized and balanced, ensuring you and your baby are well fed, healthy, and happy 🙂
This shake has it all!
- One scoop protein powder – Our favorite is IdealLean Vanilla, but as long as it’s on our list, you’ll be just fine 😉
- One cup sugar free almond milk – Some moms prefer cow’s milk, but some specialists warn that babies can have an allergic reaction to dairy. If you prefer cow’s milk, go for it! But we like almond milk for breastfeeding moms because it’s high in proteins, fiber, and lipids – all of which give the body a natural and healthy boost of energy (kindof important for new moms, right?!)
- Half an avocado – Otherwise known as the most amazing food in the world, avocados will give your shake a great flavor, consistency, and most importantly give you a nice boost of health. A half an avocado can give you up to 15 grams of amazing mono-saturated fats, which are very important for a healthy diet.
- Teaspoon Camu Camu – This not very well known fruit is the greatest source of Vitamin C in the world. One teaspoon has as much vitamin C as sixty oranges! Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant which helps your body deal with stress (cough; motherhood).
- One Cup Blueberries – Bursting with so many benefits, blueberries are a powerhouse of health. But the most important part? High in antioxidants. Along with Vitamin C (above) blueberries antioxidants will help fight the hormonal imbalance caused by pregnancy, restoring your balance and bringing you to a place of peace.
- One Cup Kale or Spinach – While they can be a bit different, they serve the same purpose in our breastfeeding shake – help shed some weight! Both kale and spinach are leafy greens that are low in calories and nutrient dense. Either will get you on the right path and supercharge your body.
- Ice Cubes – Another personal touch, we don’t think this shake needs any thickening (the avocado does that), but some women like that classic milk-shake consistency. If so, add ice 3-5 cubes.
This shake is sent from the gods themselves, and will give your body a huge boost of energy and balance. If the flavor doesn’t appeal to you, try a few combinations, removing different parts, and adding different fruits you may like. Just keep away from sugars, simple carbs, and polyunsaturated fats.
Please remember, if these sort of shakes are new to you, you need to give them some time to grow on you. This is because refined sugars are like a drug – highly addictive and highly toxic. If you are used to eating lots of refined sugar, it might take a few weeks for your body acquire a taste for them.
But doing so is so important mom! Getting off refined sugar and getting your body used to healthier flavors will get you on the path of being healthy and fit! Just trust what is healthy and wholesome.
Conclusion of the best protein powders for Breastfeeding
As a new mom, your health is more important than it’s ever been before. You are now responsible for two people, and that extra stress can only be combated with one thing – eating healthy!
By using protein powders while breastfeeding, you will be giving yourself the opportunity to nourish your body in the most convenient way possible – a quick tasty shake!
Once you have your protein picked, start giving our shake a try! You’ll feel a boost of health that will be much needed in the early stages of motherhood and breastfeeding. By applying the information in this article, you’ll ensure you and your baby are eating healthy, and that you as the mom are full of energy, and quickly working off any unwanted baby fat to get yourself fit and healthy!
What do you think? Did we miss anything? Any protein powders you prefer while breastfeeding? Comment below!
***Important: This article is up to date and very well researched, but nothing is better than the recommendation of a medical professional. Be sure to consult your doctor before making important health-related decisions. All the best to you and your baby!****